There are some things in life that are difficult to see happen. The start up of a new business, the start up of a new church plant, a new ministry, a new marriage, a new mom and dad raising a child for the first time. However, difficult is always a matter of perspective. For me to perform any type of surgery is nearly impossible (Unless I’m removing the intestines of a deer that I have harvested for food). However, for my doctor who has spent the time, effort, money in education and knowledge, she is capable of performing surgery with ease. What may be difficult for one may be easy for another. There will be times in our life that God will place things on our heart that He will expect us to believe Him, in order for them to come to fruition. Things don’t just happen. They require faith and effort.
2 Kings Chapter two gives us an interesting story about Elisha asking for something that was difficult, but not impossible.
2 Kings 2:9-10, “And so it was, when they had crossed over, that Elijah said to Elisha, “Ask! What may I do for you, before I am taken away from you?” Elisha said, “Please let a double portion of your spirit be upon me.” So he said, “You have asked a hard thing. Nevertheless, if you see me when I am taken from you, it shall be so for you; but if not, it shall not be so.”
This year God has challenged our church to post a “Dream Wall”. As I see pictures being posted on a wall, they depict a snapshot of ministry or resources that God’s people are believing Him to bring it to pass. One could easily look at this dream wall and say, “You are asking for a hard thing.” Some of these dreams for ministry are exciting and contagious. Which I believe is healthy. For far too long we have allowed unbelief and negativity to be contagious. I believe that something besides the common cold, flu and a negative, griping, critical spirit should be contagious. How about a desire, a dream and a vision that is birthed by God. “Delight yourself also in the LORD, And He shall give you the desires of your heart.” Ps 37:4
What if you are asking God for the “Hard Stuff”? How do you see it come to pass? I personally believe that if you are asking God to do something that can be accomplished in your own abilities and skill sets, and without the daily pursuit of God, it probably is not a God given dream. God wants His people to believe Him for the difficult. This may be why difficult times are upon us as a nation and world. It’s time for us to believe.
When we are asking God for the “Hard Stuff” this is what we must do…
1. Evaluate Your Level of Commitment.
· Elisha would not leave Elijah’s side.
· Elijah gave an instruction. He said that you have asked a hard thing, nevertheless, if you see me when I leave, you will have it. If you don’t, you won’t.
· It’s going to require sacrifice on your part. How much time are you willing to invest? How much resources are you willing to invest? How far will you go to see it come to pass? How bad do you want it?
· Count the cost. Luke 14:26-33
· God’s blessings are always contingent upon our obedience and diligence to follow through with instructions.
2. God Dreams and Visions Require God’s Presence and Power.
· The mantel of Elijah represents the power of God on his life.
· Elisha had to be there in order to not only see Elijah leave, but Elisha had to pick up the mantel of Elijah.
· We must stay in the presence of God. We must walk in His power and ability if we are going to accomplish the “Hard Stuff”.
Are you asking God for the “Hard Stuff”? What may seem to be a “Hard Thing” for us, is nothing for God. Remember what the angel of the Lord said to Abraham and Sarah… “Is anything too hard for the LORD? At the appointed time I will return to you, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son” (Gen 18:14). Keep asking! Keep your desire alive! Don’t quit! Let your desire bring you to a level of commitment, and let your commitment produce perseverance. Seek God’s assistance and open your ears to hear His instruction. Walk humbly and softly before the Lord, He will guide you to see the hard stuff come to fruition in your life.